Thursday, September 28, 2017

Vaccinations for Purple Fever

I am deeply grateful that my brother priest, Fr Anthony Chadwick has kindly put up some wonderful tales of Anglican Catholic history upon his blog in direct response to yesterday's post. I found it very interesting that, on the same day, the episcopal consecration of Dr Gavin Ashenden, former chaplain to Her Majesty was announced by the Christian Episcopal Church. Of course the "Thinking" Anglicans have gone potty over this with cries of "bogus bishop!" "schismatic church!" and "invalid orders!" They simply cannot handle the fact that a prominent dissenter to The Liberal Agenda has left the Church of England and been consecrated bishop in another church. It's not their problem! If anything, you would have thought that they would be glad that their Agenda has one less opponent to worry about - one less need to invoke the (logically wobbly) Five Guiding Principles.

It was a shame that Bishop Ashenden didn't become part of the ACC, but then he clearly had a higher calling. The Anglican Catholic Church in this country is tiny but has grown and transformed under our Bishop Damien Mead. It is his brilliant efforts that have seen us recover from the Hamlett affair and proceed to a stable basis with an eye on the future. Yet, if you are called to episcopacy as is obviously the case for Bishop Ashenden, we aren't the jurisdiction you are looking for. Our clergy are content to be priests and deacons under Bishop Damien because that way lies our stability.

One reason that I'm glad I left teaching is that I no longer face pressure to be ambitious. A good priest remembers what he is and for Whom he is and is thankful for the privilege to serve the laity. He honours his bishop as his father in God and thereby follows the principle of Catholicism laid down by St Ignatius of Antioch in his letter to the Smyrnaeans
See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.
 There is only one focus for the priest and issues of whether he is called to the episcopate can only arise when there is an interregnum or there is a specific need. While the episcopate may be a good thing to desire, it is not the focus of our work.

The Anglican Catholic Church is what it is and we have now been agreed as to what it is for some forty years. This is where we have learned lessons from Bishop Hamlett and his ilk who were never satisfied but sought greater and tighter control but over what? Over the clergy? To what end? Purple Fever is worthless: the episcopate is meaningless if there isn't a diocese to oversee. There are too many bishops out there lying to people by saying that they are Catholic bishops and passing themselves off (for some unfathomable reason) as members (nay princes) of the Roman Catholic Church.

That being said I must beat my breast and say mea culpa as I am a priest without a congregation. Having to build one from scratch in amidst of the turmoil of my own life is going to be a huge challenge. I still have people to whom to minister in my area and hope that this will grow. However, I am part of an established Diocese and have my own little projects on the go. I am hoping that one will come to fruition very soon.

Alas for Bishop Ashenden, the CEC and the ACNA, they have all our old troubles to come. I am always puzzled by the attitude of The Liberal Agenda who try to squeeze out the traditional element in their midst and, when they succeed and these little groups of the traditional faith try to come together to form some fellowship, they cry "schismatic!" and invalidate them from their lives for the crime of "not bowing to The Liberal Agenda". Not only is The Liberal Agenda schismatic, it is profoundly hypocritical.

I wonder if the Devil uses guiding principles?

However, that being said, may God bless Bishop Gavin Ashenden and make his ministry fruitful!

4 comments:

Xorobabel said...

Hi Fr. Munn. I am a layman in the Anglican Province of Christ the King (we are in communion with the ACC). I just wanted to let you know that I greatly enjoyed your most recent podcast sermon on anxiety, and I wish you the best in your ministry efforts.

I too wish Bp Ashenden had found his way into the ACC-UK.

Warwickensis said...

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your kind words. It's lovely to hear from members of our sister church.

Fr Anthony said...

I too greatly appreciate your posting and the biretta tip. You have some very lucid thought on the question of the Episcopate. It is not a medal from the Queen or a reward for being good, but the fulness of the priesthood. It is a greater burden than for us simple priests, who already have responsibilities for the souls in our parishes or who read our words in our "new ministries".

I see a need to work on our philosophy and provide something positive and noble. The one who wears the mitre in the ACC in England has the humility and personality for it, and he truly leads us with his piety and good humour. We are truly blessed by God, and I would not like to be in his shoes. If God truly calls me to be a Bishop, how could I respond because I am not up to that ministry and I don't have the life circumstances for it, but if it is God, who can refuse? But I won't be looking for it. I thank God for being in a Church and under episcopal jurisdiction and being blessed with the priesthood of Christ.

You, Father, and I don't have flocks of people at our Mass. I too celebrate alone with spirits I cannot see or hear. We are called to teach and spread the good word. We won't let people say that Continuing Anglican blogging is dead!

Ken said...

Well Fr. Munn I guess I'll have to fly to jolly ole England and be a parish of one for a week.

Perhaps we can do a tour of old English churches, and sneak in a Holy Communion at them.